If you are considering career options or looking to change your career path, hotel management industry is one of the thriving sectors with large employment opportunities. A career in hotel management is truly glamorous with the industry being very dynamic.
Globalisation has resulted in the hotel management industry becoming global. With the rise in hotel industry, many hotel chains are opening their hotels in many countries. This offers good exposure, lifestyle, and remuneration. It is now one of the most sought after career options in recent years.
What constitutes Hotel Management Industry?
Key sectors of hotel management and hospitality industry are hotel and restaurant management,event planning, theme parks, transportation, cruise line, tourism industry. It is completely a customer oriented business. Customer service and customer satisfaction form the backbone of this industry.
Required Skill Set
Hotel management is completely a customer oriented business. Customer service and customer satisfaction form the backbone of this industry. It thus goes without saying that good people management skills is one of the most important factor for someone to work in this industry. The person who wishes to have a career in hotel management should have excellent communication skills. He/She should also be polite, patient, courteous, and friendly. The job also requires one to perform well in highly stressful conditions. One of the other key attributes is also the readiness and the ability to work at odd hours.
Courses Offered in Hotel Management
Listed below are the various courses offered in hotel management
· DHM – Diploma in Hotel Management
· BHM – Bachelor in Hotel Management
· PGDHM – Post Graduate Diplomain Hotel Management
· DHMCT – Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Industry
· BHMCT – Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Industry
What are the Career Opportunities and Options?
While considering career options, it is very important to be aware of the opportunities and options in that particular industry. Below listed are a few career options for a person who has a degree in hotel management.
· Work in a hotel as a Manager
· Work as a consultant
· Start your own hotel.
Job Opportunities for people who wish to work in a hotel
· Hotel Managers – These are responsible for the efficient functioning of the hotel. These include the managers who look after specific departments like finance, day-to-day hotel operations, catering etc.
· Front Office Executives - The first point of contact with the customers. The front office manager supervises the information desk, receptionists.
· Sales and Marketing Executives – This team plays a major role in hotel management. They are involved in identifying the prospective customers, preparing customised stay packages,
· Food and Restaurant Service Managers – They look after the food and restaurant section.
· Housekeeping Managers – Manage housekeeping staff, see to it that hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
With the world becoming increasingly small, the hunger for people to travel and see new places is also increasing. It is prudent to say that hotel management industry is a currently booming industry with lots to offer for a person who chooses to opt for a career in this industry.